Thursday, February 25, 2010

Mandu Madness



My sleeping patterns have been very messed up since reading week :( I stay up for no reason, missed and have been extra late for class, ay yi yi! I've been way too relaxed about work this semester and feel like I have a lot of catch up to do :/ My classes are interesting so I don't mind the reading, I've just been lazy. Time is going by so fast...I'm planning for Easter break right now, and then classes end, I have exams, and its over!

Things on my mind:
  • construction of tradition & romanticized notion of history
  • normalization of gendered speech and acting (did you know German has a female, male, and neutral nouns?)
  • being "cultured" and class discrimination




As I previously mentioned, I've been doing a lot of cooking here. Thanks to Aeri's Kitchen and Maangchi, I've been making a lot of Korean food =P And I just found this blog Closet Cooking that makes me want to be more experimental and try new things. My flatmate Pauline took a Chinese cooking class and made beef dumplings for us one night (see above pictures). After that, I was inspired to try! So I used Aeri's kimchi mandu recipe.




Preparing the mandu fillings. Ingredients: veggies, noodles, beef, and, of course, kimchi :)



I ran out of the store bought wrappers and made my own. Mad tedious -_-




Yay my creations! The whitish ones are the store bought wrappers and the rest are made from scratch.




Mandu fail.

You're supposed to freeze them all separately, and then can store them together in a bag. I threw them all in a bag. And now have a giant lump of mandu.




I still had mandu filling left so I made more and this time froze them separately. I also made 2 mini mandus because I can. And they're adorable. :)

Hmm...where to go for break? Sweden? Brussels? Sleep for days? What to do what to do...


6 comments:

  1. "construction of tradition & romanticized notion of history" who said history was romantic??

    "normalization of gendered speech and acting (did you know German has a female, male, and neutral nouns?)"
    Ich habe das gehort. Das Mann ist nicht "the Male"; es bedeutet "the 'human'".

    "being "cultured" and class discrimination" bourgies and the non-bourgies.

    so i guess your study habits have not really changed... hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! im so impressed by how much you have been cooking! please cook for me when you come back hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like those mini mandoos :)
    HAHAHA this was a great comment

    ReplyDelete
  4. dang you made our own 만두 피.. kudos to you, it's not easy (as you have mentioned, tedious, but also one must be meticulous, but i'm sure that's not a problem for you since you bake all the time, baking = precise measurements), to make your own mandu skin/ wrap. ah history is always rearranged, re interpreted to glorify one side and to calumniate the other. the process repeats so many times, that it's no longer "romantic." so subjective and fraught with biases.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My brother is such a show-off!!
    I hope you didn't through the mandu ball away. you can make awesome mandu ball soup!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was bedeutet das gehort any way!!!
    Sorry, Jackie.

    ReplyDelete

Followers